Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Scratch "Chemo" off the To-do list

My college roommate, Melinda, recommended I write "chemo" down somewhere and then put a check mark next to it. (Actually, she recommended I write "chemo 1", "chemo 2", etc.) I went in to work today, took down the Sweeney Todd newspaper ad that's been there for about a month (sorry Johnny Depp) and wrote "Chemo" in big letters. Then I drew a line threw it.

Very satisfying.

Later at my documentation team meeting, the writers gave me a fabulous box of gourmet chocolates (there are at least two serious chocolate snobs on my team and I am grateful to reap the benefits of their strong opinions). I had two of the chocolates after dinner and I feel quite sated (and loved).

Then! I went to get my final post-chemo Neulasta shot and the nurse gave me a congratulatory bouquet of flowers. This must be de rigeur there, because all the staff kept congratulating me on finishing chemo. It made me a teensy bit weepy, I confess.

So, yay. Now, on to radiation, which, truth be told, doesn't have me too concerned. I'm expecting the tedium of the routine to kick in at some point, but as someone pointed out to me several months ago, this is a marathon. And quite frankly, after four months of chemo, seven weeks of radiation doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Check back with me, though, around week four or five ;-).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Karen! We're so happy you're through the chemo. Now, let's start drinking!

John P.

Sandy said...

Once again Karen, you are a role model my dear!!! Am so glad to hear you are past the chemo and on with spring soccer!!!! XO, Sandy E

Why Take a "Break"? said...

I had my first glass of wine since September last night, and a half a cup of coffee this morning. I might be jumping the gun, but as they say, "f**k it". :-D