Wednesday, February 25, 2009

"The Happiest Place on Earth"

The last place on my list of places to go--post chemo--was Disneyland or Disney World. And last weekend, I got to go to Disneyland with Maggie and some of her Girl Scout friends.

Sooooo much fun. First off--I genuinely enjoy the "house of the mouse", so to speak. And Robert & Deirdre Bauer were there (well, to be truthful, they drove, and arranged the hotel, and bought the tickets to the parks... um, they did most of the heavy lifting to be truthful), so, in addition to just having fun with the girls, I also had fun with two other adults who genuinely enjoy being in Disney territory.

I didn't end up getting to do Space Mountain, but I *did* get to do Thunder Mountain, the Matterhorn, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and most important of all--Peter Pan's Flight.Celia, Maggie, Lila and Siobhan Here are the girls in front of the entrance to California Adventure (where they went on the river raft ride five times). I love Disneyland. I would go there again next weekend, if I could.

After two days in Disneyland, we spent a day at the Huntington, sort of on our way back home. I got to see one of the Gutenberg bibles and an original complete Shakespeare folio, along with a new exhibition of Lincoln memorabilia (which they called "Lincolniana"). To kick off the exhibition, they had a Civil War era band playing Stephen Foster music, and a Lincoln impersonator. Lincoln at the Huntington He was checking out the exhibits when Robert and I toured the show later. I couldn't resist taking this picture.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I second everything Karen said it was so much fun to be in Disneyland
the four teens who are wonderful and I am ready to go again. Karen and I did the river raft ride twice where I managed to get soaked and Karen ended up with dry hair,not fair.....

Anonymous said...

Love that photo of honest Abe!