Friday, November 9, 2007

I Love My Oncologist

I had my check-up with Dr. Kuan on Monday, after a very rough weekend. My stomach still was causing me some distress on Monday and while I waited first for my blood to be drawn and then to see Dr. Kuan, I kept getting teary. I had to keep reminding myself to get a grip, that really I was doing fine, but I kept getting weepy.

So when she entered the examination room, and asked how I was, I just got weepy all over again. I apologized and explained that I am kind of spoiled by just how well my machine of a body typically works. And while there are lots of drugs for the nausea, the stomach cramps that I had been experiencing for three days were really just getting on my last nerve.

And what did my good doctor do? Well, she wrote me a prescription for something to reduce the acid in my stomach (still waiting for insurance to cover that, thank you). But first, she got up and gave me a hug. A really long one. Which made me cry again, of course, because I am nothing if not a one-woman answer to drought. Then she stepped back and said, "You need to do something for yourself this week. Pamper yourself. Get a massage."

Don't you love her? I'm getting a facial tomorrow (clean pores *and* a face, neck, and shoulder massage). Kisses to Dr. Kuan for the permission. If only insurance covered facials.....

Meanwhile, my numbers are still really good (like I said, I have a pretty good machine). So, on to the next and final AC infusion on Tuesday.

1 comment:

dror said...

"I'm getting a facial tomorrow (clean pores *and* a face, neck, and shoulder massage). "

She said pamper yourself, not go and get tortured. Have fun, girlfriend.