Friday, August 24, 2007

Green Light: Surgery

Yay! After all the rigemarole of approvals and schedules, we have a surgery date.

Next Thursday, August 30, at 7:45 a.m., I'll check in to Summit West (in Oakland) where they'll begin the prep work (inserting a wire), then I'll move on to Summit North, where they'll do more prep work. Then on to the nuclear facility (I'm not even kidding, that's what she called it) for yet another wire. From there, it's on to the OR. Sheesh.

Assuming it's only a lumpectomy, I should be done by 3 p.m. and home that afternoon. If they have to take out the lymph nodes, well, then, I get to spend the night in the lovely hospital and go home on Friday morning.

I'm meeting my oncologist and radiologist this Tuesday and Wednesday, respectively, to fill out paperwork and do the pre-consults. After the surgery, I have been told it takes about a week for the full pathology report to have been digested such that my chemo/radiation treatment can be determined and begun.

And that's when the real fun begins. ;-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen,

Good luck with surgery on Monday, bet your glad no overnight in the hospital. Tell Frank I may want to try that recipe if it works out.

Love Deirdre