Monday, August 20, 2007

The Waiting Game

Well, now we're just waiting. And rather than have people fret and wonder what the heck is going on, I'll just give you the situation, as we currently know it.

We got the pathology report last Thursday just before meeting with the surgeon. Technically, all we know so far is that I have "invasive DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ)". It appears that there is lymphatic and/or vascular invasion. But they can't know anything for certain until I have a lumpectomy. Which will happen as soon as we can get approved. Which will happen in five to ten business days. Argh! Insurance: blessing or curse?

Anyway. We're probably looking at surgery next week, sometime.

The surgeon is on the young side (Frank might prefer it if he wasn't so handsome. Me? I'm wondering if he's too old for Emily....) But very capable and Frank and I both felt assured and confident in his abilities.

During surgery, they'll check out the lymph nodes. If they look bad, they'll remove them at the same time as the lump. Afterward, they'll test the margins of what they've removed, to ensure they got everything.

But meanwhile? We just wait.

I'll email again when we've got a date for surgery.

(Also, please feel free to forward this to whomever you like. If I've missed anyone, my sincerest apologies.)

1 comment:

Robert Menzimer said...

We like 2B compared to 3A. Yay!