Monday, September 10, 2007

2B or not 2B?

Frank and I saw Dr. Kuan today, to go over the pathology report and to discuss chemotherapy. What a long appointment.

First, the details. The CT scan showed the breast lump and the rather large lymph node in my armpit, but that's it. So, yay, we get a zero on the M(etastisis) for the TNM staging for breast cancer. We told Dr. Kuan that Dr. Broderick had said I was staged at 3A (67% survival rate) and she looked confused. She said, no, a T(umor)2 and N(odes)1 meant a 2B. She looked through the pathology report and we talked about lymph nodes that are "matted," which can move a stage 2B to a 3A, but she said the pathology report showed no indication of this, so we're going to take that 2B with no further argument, thank you very much. All in all, given the TNM "score" combined with the fact that the tumor was "high grade" (i.e. aggressive), gives me a 75% survival rate. (But as my oncologist friend, Carla, reminds us, "these statistics refer to large numbers of people, not to individuals.")

After clarifying those details, Dr. Kuan let me know that the cancer center is doing a clinical test on Taxol infusions. If I sign up for the test, my chemotherapy would consist of 4 bi-weekly infusions of Doxorubicin (Adriamycin) and cyclophosphamide [abbreviated AC], and then either 12 weekly infusions or 6 bi-weekly infusions of paclitaxel (Taxol). The benefit of taking part in a clinical trial, of course, is that you have even more doctors watching your condition. So, despite the fact that weekly infusions would be a drag from the perspective of getting on with life, we are considering it.

We got to meet the nurse for Dr. Kuan's practice, Lisa Mune, who showed us how the "port" works for the chemo infusions. You can go here for an image of where the port goes. This port, which is surgically inserted under the skin, enables the nurses to give me my chemo meds and to draw blood without having to find a vein every other week. We're hoping that Dr. Broderick can put in the port when he's doing the recision to get more of the margins (still no word on when that will occur, yet).

But, if you look at the image, you'll note that meds go right into the vena cava, which leads right to the heart. So, to make sure my heart can handle all this (the Adriamycin, the "A" part of the AC, is hard on the heart) I'm having a heart scan (MUGA) on Thursday morning.

Whew. What a day.

On a positive note--I went camping this past weekend with the moms and daughters in Maggie's girl scout troop. There were four girls and four moms in Marin and it was lovely. I came home on Sunday utterly exhausted. But I'm figuring I won't be doing much of that kind of thing for at least the next six to nine months, and I wanted the Maggie time.

6 comments:

Dawn said...

I am comforted to know you are receiving the best of care. I know a lot of people are reading your blogs...they are interesting and VERY helpful. I want to take advantage of the situation and mention to anyone that might be interested in the walk for the cure for breast cancer. I think I might fundraise and participate next year in Tampa....It looks like a *girl* thing to do...hard work, laughs, memories, and all for a good cause. If anyone reading this might be interested, check it out....www.the3day.org

Dawn said...

I forgot to mention, of course, I will be funraising and walking in YOUR name, Keebie. I am thankful that others have volunteered or fundraised and promoted awareness and treatment for breast cancer. I want to help that end.

Why Take a "Break"? said...

Okay, now you're just making me cry. :-) Actually, a couple of my friends have done this walk in the past and have really enjoyed the camaraderie. Love you.

Radio Schmaydio said...

That's good news!

If you're going to be demoted getting bumped down on a cancer stage is definitely choice number one.

Shelley said...

Karen--Barbara L. passed on your blog to me. Your spirit and "informativeness" are amazing and inspiring! All my best to you on this journey you're on--Shelley

Shelley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.