Monday, September 24, 2007

Ready, Set, Go!


What a busy couple of days we've had.

First: we got Emily happily esconced in her dorm room (Anacapa Hall) at UCSB over the weekend. We left home at about 10:30 a.m. on Saturday with a borrowed van (thanks again, Sarah & John!). We hit a bit of traffic around Watsonville, and some very icky rain a couple times, but got to Santa Barbara before 4:30. We managed to wrangle our way on to campus, stopped off at the bookstore (where we picked up Em's preordered books) and then left her bike locked up in front of her dorm. (Emily's room is one room away from this back door to the dorm. Not too shabby.)

After spending a lovely evening at the Ramada Limited and a quick morning visit to the Mission Santa Barbara, we got Emily moved in to her dorm, had lunch with her in the dining commons, and said "see you in five weeks" around 1 p.m. on Sunday. (I didn't get weepy until we were halfway down the hall.) Frank and I were back in Albany around 6:30 last night.

Second: On to today. I had a 10:30 appointment with my medical oncologist. All went well and she said that, as long as my surgeon is okay with it, I can start chemo next week. Finally! Don't get me wrong. I'm not exactly excited about chemo, but I do feel that the sooner I can get started, the sooner I can be on the other side of this, and I'm really ready to get started.

(It turns out I will not be doing the Taxol test. The treatment involved pills and self-injections and Dr. Kuan nixed the whole idea. It was kind of funny listening to her talk to the research department. "That's not a good test. No, you really should just scrap that test. What about this other one? <listening> No. That's not a good test. These are not really good tests." Anyway. We're doing the prescribed 4 cycles of AC and 6 cycles of Taxol, each two weeks apart.)

I scheduled a Monday morning first time infusion for the AC (I'll be there from about 9 till 1 p.m.) and a Tuesday follow-up for a shot of Neulasta (to get the white blood cell count going).

At 2:45, I met with my surgeon. He confirmed what Dr. Kuan told us--the margins were clean and there is no residual cancer in the breast or lymph node area. Yay! He said that, yes, I can start chemo whenever Dr. Kuan is ready. Then he brought up radiation. He talked about the "mammocite" proposal he had mentioned during our pre-surgery consult over a month ago. Mammociate radiation is when they put a balloon catheter into the tumor site and zap you with radiation from the inside as well as the outside, for five days. This greatly reduces the radiation time (from five/six weeks to five days), so that's a plus. On the other hand, there really aren't any long-term statistics for this form of radiation yet and so no one can offer assurances that it will be as effective, in the long run, as the good old six weeks of daily radiation.

If we pursued this form of radiation, we'd need to do it before chemo, and so we really needed to get Dr. Kuan's opinion. I called Dr. Kuan and after some phone tag, we spoke about the radiation. Given my high risk status, she doesn't recommend the mammocite radiation. So, there we are.

We'll start the AC on Monday and then do three more cycles over a period of eight weeks. When that's done, we'll get started on six cycles of Taxol over twelve weeks. Then we'll take a short break and get started on the radiation.

And, in the interest of fair and balanced reporting ;-), I have to say that I am in love with Blue Shield right now. They approved one of the more expensive anti-nausea meds (Emend) and so other than having a liter or so of toxic chemicals in my body next Monday, I should be feeling okay.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY!!! Loved the surgeon's report. Now you're really chipping away towards getting this done...love you lots...and continuing with positive thoughts and prayers.
Love MOM

Anonymous said...

Great news from the surgeon that the second surgery went well and you are ready for the chemo. You are surrounded by loving family and friends and if good thoughts and prayers work you will do great.
I really like the blog reports keep them coming....love Deirdre