Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Surgery: Double Check

....and just be grateful it won't be a "triple check".

There was some doubt as to whether or not we'd get approval for the port to placed during this surgery and I was starting to feel a bit pouty about the prospect of a third surgery. But, yay!, someone pulled a rabbit out of a hat, and they put the port in place yesterday, during the recision.

The recision doesn't hurt much, but the area where they put the port is pretty sore. I gather they had to move some muscles around to get everything in place.

But, all in all? Things went swimmingly. Surgery started a bit late (I was wheeled in to the OR a bit after noon, rather than at 11:30), but I was home before 5 p.m. and I got to sleep in my own bed (much more restful than sleeping in the hospital).

Thanks to Joanie, Karen, and Dorothy for cleaning our house again yesterday, while Frank and I were in the hospital all day. "Thank you" to Becky for a wonderful dinner. And thanks to my co-workers for the most fabulous box of chocolates (a box made out of chocolate, filled with chocolate), accompanied by the loveliest sentiments.

I will be meeting my oncologist next week to schedule chemotherapy. And in the meantime, we'll be getting Emily packed up and then settled at UCSB.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen,

So glad it went well and that you don't need another surgery! Hope to see you at Back To School night.

Leigh

Why Take a "Break"? said...

I'll be there! Soon you then.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to offer some advice. It's okay for you to play the "I have been diagnosed with cancer and have had two surgeries in the last three weeks" card on move-in day at UCSB. Frank and Em can handle the heavy lifting!

Seriously, have fun down there. This is a huge event.

Love,
John

Why Take a "Break"? said...

I'm just in SB for the fun this weekend. Frank and Em will be doing all lifting and any other difficult chores. I will be doing what I do best--"managing" every one else's work efforts. :-)