Thursday, September 13, 2007

Monday Recision

I'm scheduled for the recision surgery on Monday, September 17, which is easy for me to remember, as it's my parents' anniversary. (Happy Anniversary, Mom & Dad!) ;-)

I'll check in at the hospital at 9:30 and surgery is scheduled for 11:30. Assuming everything goes well (and remember, we have no nasty lymph nodes to deal with this time around), I should be done by 3 p.m. and then home around 4 or 5 p.m.

Meanwhile, the MUGA this morning was pretty boring. Frank and I showed up at Alta Bates hospital, where we checked in at Nuclear Medicine. I got shot up with some radioactive isotopes and then waited for about 15 minutes for them to circulate through my bloodstream. Then I was put on a narrow bed and had 3 leads put on me for the heart rate monitor. I had to put my left arm up over my head and the kindly nurse, Mark, strapped my right arm around me, so I'd stay nice and still. He positioned the circular scanning device over me and it slowly moved around my heart for 20+ minutes.

Frank asked if he could talk to me and Mark said, "yes, just don't make her laugh." So, at one point, Frank starts to tell me how he's going to prepare the Smithfield ham he just acquired.

Frank: I'm going to cook it the Alton Brown way.
Karen: And what way would that be?
Frank: Well, you braise it in Mr. Pibb.
Karen: Mr. Pibb?
Frank: Yeah, and sweet pickle juice.
Karen: You're not supposed to make me laugh, remember?
Frank: That wasn't supposed to be funny.
Karen: Sweet pickle juice?
Frank: Oh, okay. ......Iraq.

You gotta love him.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Smithfield Ham?!?! Ick. But I guess that's not really the point here, is it? Good luck on Monday.

Love, John

Anonymous said...

Love ya Karen! Ham....tell Frank to use Coke, brown sugar and mustard...very tasty that way :)

My thoughts continue to be with you each and every day. I wish we lived closer...heck...I wish you lived next door!...or across the hall.

I'm going over to Janine and Alan's tonight for dinner. Topic for dinner...well...you, of course, sweetie pie!

Ham, pie...I gotta go get a snack :)

Why Take a "Break"? said...

Coke, brown sugar, and mustard--that's a classic. The ham was good and *salty*. And that was after a good 24+ hours soaking in water.

And yeah, I wish you still just lived across the hall, too, Sue. :-)

Anonymous said...

I have trouble imagining a good use for sweet pickle juice, except maybe as a wild animal repellant in the garden. I will be thinking of you on Monday

Anonymous said...

Hey Karen:

We'll be sending you "get this done already and get me home!" vibes tomorrow.

See ya on the flip side,

love, ...martha...