Friday, October 5, 2007

....And Back into the Light

Whew. That was certainly an interesting three or four days.

To recap: I had my first chemo treatment on Monday. All went well and I was fatigued Monday evening and experienced some insomnia that night.

Tuesday I felt okay. A little light-tummied and tired, but otherwise, okay.

Wednesday? Ick. Not so great. I was still using the Emend (the finest in anti-emetic medications) but the nausea would not be kept at bay. So, I supplemented with another medication that just wiped me out. So I felt nauseous and dopey. Perfect. By the end of Wednesday, I was starting to feel better and was actually able to eat some real food (as opposed to the saltines, almond butter toast, and yogurt I've been consuming since Monday afternoon).

Thursday morning I felt pretty much the same, but without meds, so I took that as a very good sign. I stayed on the saltine/toast/yogurt diet and got through the day just fine.

And today, Friday, I feel very hungry. Yay! Frank made me some very tasty bran muffins with flax seed for breakfast and I might get really crazy and have half a sandwich for lunch. No, don't try to stop me... :-)

In other news, Frank and I attended the Chemotheraphy Orientation at the ABCCC last night. It was interesting (intentionally and unintentionally). First the intentionally interesting part. Among other things, we learned that a) cancer cells rapidly divide, and b) the way chemo works is to attack rapidly dividing cells. Of course, your system has other cells that are rapidly dividing. These include cells in your GI track and your hair & nail follicles. Which explains many of the side effects of chemo. There was a lot of other information, too, and it was useful, overall.

The unintentionally interesting part was when the pharmacist kept talking about the N/V (nausea/vomiting) side effects of chemo. She was obviously knowledgeable and experienced and knew her field, but English was not her first language. And so everytime she said "nausea/vomiting", it sounded a bit harsh and abrupt. She described the various stages of "nauseavomiting" explaining that you could have Level 1 vomiting would would not be very much, or you could have Level 5, which would be pretty much all the time. The man sitting to my left had not, thus far, experienced any of these side effects, but confessed that with our friendly pharmacist constantly saying "nauseavomiting", he was beginning to experience some pschosomatic symptoms. This did not seem to impress the speaker as she continued to say over and over "nauseavomiting". Finally, the gentleman stood up and said he thought he needed some air. Before he could get to the door, he started to swoon, and luckily one of the nurses was there to catch him. The poor man was out like a light. When we went to bed last night, Frank and I kept cracking each other up, saying "nauseavomiting" repeatedly—remembering the absolute oblivion of the woman who tortured that poor man into fainting. (And have I made you a bit queasy with that charming story?)

Sleep patterns are weird, but that's a lot easier to handle than the ickiness of nausea. Typically, it's Frank who's up at 4 or 5 a.m. each day. Today, I was up, too. I was very hungry and so had a small bowl of cereal to tie me over until breakfast. But I got plenty of sleep, so I'm feeling fine.

So, while I wrote on Monday, "One Down....", today, I feel that a bit more sincerely. Here's to hoping the next infusion isn't any worse than this one was.

4 comments:

Dave said...

Wow! Thanks for the veritable cornucopia (or compendium) of terminology related to regurgitation. Such a glossary inspires those of us for whom the downside of the upchuck abyss is a constant companion to consider the creation of a heretofore unknown (and unsolicited literary subgenre: the barfblog. There could even be subgenres to this subgenres, such as collegiate, pregnant, and chemical. Seriously, your inspired and inspiring writing is a much-cherished addition to my daily surfing. So gratified to hear you're over the first hurdle (hurldle?) and are in good spirits. Please have a green tea on me.

Anonymous said...

Okay, now I am glad I already had breakfast as you description of the poor gentlemen left me thinking maybe we could come up with a code word. Check with Maggie, Middle School girls have a new word for everything. Glad to hear you are in good spirts today and think of all the extra reading you will accomplish during the times you cannot sleep. I think Frank should write a cook book to help other folks in the same situation...go Karen and Frank keep those interesting food ideas flowing.....

Radio Schmaydio said...

Yeah, if you need a euphemism I offer the Australian classic: Technicolor Yawn.

Anonymous said...

*burp* I just ate breakfast and it doesn't take much to make me sick sometimes. But I'm glad you are doing ok and I send you loads of HUGS from Janine & I.

I don't want to steal your blog, but have I told you yet about sitting on the airplane next to Ralph Nader and talking to him for 2 hours on 9/28? Ralphie and I are tight now! We didn't talk politics but we did talk about insurance and what you are going through. And of course, we talked about IU. ok....I'll fill you in on more of it later (it involves his business card!!)...back to our regularly scheduled burpfest :)