Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Wigs, etc.

Sorry for the delay in updating. I've been either working, socializing, or taking a much-needed break to veg.

First up! My co-worker Colleen went wig shopping with me on Thursday. It was quite the excursion.

When I googled for wig shops in San Francisco, the top-rated place that showed in the listings was a place called "Rosalie's". It's way out on Columbus Ave, at the edge of North Beach, almost to Fisherman's Wharf. Colleen and I managed to snag parking right outside the shop (virtually unheard of) and wandered in.

This place was amazing. First, the place was simply jam-packed with stuff. Wigs competed with dresses and accessories for space. There were dress racks suspended from the ceiling--you'd have needed a hook to get anything down. And second, the many styles of clothing and wigs available made me fairly certain that Rosalie's is frequented by our transgender friends. We saw the Liz Taylor wig, as well as the Jaclyn Smith, and even the Dodie Rosecrans--SF socialite--circa 1970.

Anyway. We made our way through the maze of wigs and clothing and started to feel that unless I wanted something truly outrageous, this might not be the shop for me. And then, we rounded the final corner and came across at least 4 wigs that would work perfectly.

The man working the store asked me to sit down in one of the barber chairs situated in front of a mirror, so he could try the wigs on me. (This man was teeny: I'd be shocked if he weighed 90 pounds, truly. And if he is under 70 years old, I'd be shocked. But his hair and moustache are both still jet black, so he's still working it.) He tried on two of the wigs Colleen and I picked out and as he prepared the third, he said that after we were done with these four wigs, he'd like to try one on me that he had picked out. We tried on the four wigs and got two "maybes" out of the bunch. And then he tried on the wig he picked out. Herewith, the "Bobbi" (though you have to imagine that "i" dotted with a heart). Bobbi definitely out-ranked the other wigs and the longer I looked at it, the more fun it was. I mean roots? On purpose? So, we purchased the wig for a *steal*. Quality wigs typically start at $250-$300. When I asked how much the wig was, he seemed to be somewhat embarrassed and whispered, "$65". Um, okay, we'll take it!

To see the other two fabulous wigs I've got, as well as a shot of me sans cheveux, you can go here: Karen's Hair Looks.

I've also got some new chapeaux to show off (including a fabulous hand-knitted cap that looks a bit like a fuzzy blonde fro), but that will need to be another blog entry.

The rest of the week was good. Work got done and then Maggie and I enjoyed The Magic Flute at the SF Opera, along with her friend Siobhan, and her mom (and my friend) Dierdre. We had brunch in the city (Absinthe, for those of you who know SF) and got to the opera for a 2 p.m. show. Nice end to a pretty weekend.

I had my third infusion yesterday and Maggie accompanied me. She missed a few classes at school, but I feel that right now, we have to have some perspective on our overall outlook. She learned, I think, what I'd hoped she'd learn--it's not scary and it's a bit boring. I gave her a brief tour of the cancer center and then we both did a lot of waiting, with the occassional bit of attention. We checked in at 1, and Frank picked us up at 4:45.

Today is Halloween and lucky Frank will be opening the door and handing out candy. I will be firmly esconced somewhere in a prone position, watching trashy DVDs. Or, hmmm, maybe Lord of the Rings.

Oh, and Frank has the best joke of the week. I was telling him that I can't sleep on my right side because that's where the port is. It's uncomfortable to put too much pressure on it, and I'd hate to dislodge anything. So Frank says, (are you ready? It's somewhat nautical in nature) "You can't sleep on your starboard because of your port!" Get it? No? Ah well, you can google it if you're really curious.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

All the wigs look fun and I must say you can carry off the bald look,not many people have the good shaped head and lovely face....But on the wig vote I pick the blonde look, roots and all, as a woman I may even venture to say it has that sexy look....way to go.

Anonymous said...

Karen, when your hair grows back, you definitely need to go blond. Really. It's totally your look! And the dark roots will add that certain je ne sais quoi. N'est pas?

Anonymous said...

Fabulous! And posting these great wig pix on Halloween was perfect!

Anonymous said...

Venturing into dangerous territory - The blonde wig looks great. You were blonde about XX years ago. However, your hair has always been long. I felt the short hairstyle opened up an entirely new you. Have you looked at short style wigs. Love you

Anonymous said...

Oh Karen....You look Mavalous (spoken in my best Billy Crystal voice)! I LOVE the blonde one. I'd like to have that one actually!

You know what...you are such a beautiful person both inside and out. I wish I was there with you to help you through all this. You 'walk' with me every morning...whether you know it or not. And when the sun starts to rise (I start walking in the dark), I think of you and wish a wonderful day for you every day.

And yes, I understand Frank's comment (I'm rolling my eyes)...LOL. You and Frank are such a hoot! I'm thinking we are going to have to plan a reunion in San Fran before long so we can all get pampered and talk and talk and talk!

Lots and lots of hugs!
Sue

Western Parent said...

I love all of the wigs. You look amazing. I remember the days when you worked at Richards Dept. store and would try on hats and stuff there. You always looked great in any hat and/or headband.
What a great idea to take Maggie with you...I bet it calmed alot of her fears...How have you been feeling as far as nausea goes?
I love Frank's joke...quite witty. My co-workers will love that one...
I love you.

Symmetry said...

Love the slide show! It is hard to choose a favorite as they are all stunning, but I have to go with "Roots". It falls around your face in a way that confidently screams, "I combed it, but I'm a busy mom who can't get to the roots just yet! Either back off or kiss me!!!" Makes your beautiful eyes even flashier. Go with it!

Why Take a "Break"? said...

I wore the blonde wig on Friday night in Santa Barbara, but I think I was too cranky to enjoy it. :-) I need to post a slideshow of my many hats. Oh, and I desperately need info on how to make a "turban" out of a scarf....

Unknown said...

I have to put in a vote for the red wig, since I've always wanted to be a red-head (remember that dyed red hair phase I went through?). I also love that it's long. Unlike your dad, I'm used to you with shorter hair, so the long looks so different to me.

Hang in there with those crummy days and use the wigs to amuse you!

Love,
KBL

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!